The meaning of vastu is dwelling, which is the home for god and humans. Vastu shastra is based on various energies that comes from atmosphere like solar energy from sun, cosmic energy, lunar energy, thermal energy, magnetic energy, light energy, wind energy. These energies can be balanced to enhance peace, prosperity and success. If a house is made according to these principles, the inmates enjoy all the happiness in life. If it is against vastu principals, it will be a place for all sort of problems, worries and no peace.
i.Master bed room
The Vastu plays a major role in placement and designing of the master bedroom. The way you sleep with your head in different direction and your placement of bed is a major decision which must be taken properly with utmost care. Here are some basic points one must adhere to get peace and prosperity in your bedroom.
- The master bedroom should always be located in the Southwest part of the house as Southwest represents the element Earth which implies the heaviness, which makes it as the ideal place for the master of the house.
- This is not at all suitable for children room, guest room, servant room or any other room.
- A great deal of attention should be paid to bedrooms in a house. One should sleep with head towards South, East or West and never in north.
- There should not be any beam crossing over the bed. If it exists, proper rectification should be done immediately otherwise the health will be affected.
- The bed placed should be on the South/West walls and if not there, it should be kept at least 4” away from the walls.
- The heavy almirah should be on the South/west wall.
- The construction material for the bed should be the wood and the wrought iron beds should be avoided.
- All the electronic gadgets should be placed at a distance from the bed as the Electro- magnetic waves emitted by them interferes with the sleep.
- There should not be any mirror in front of the bed.
- The shape of the bed should be regular and any irregular shape should be avoided.
- The bed should never be placed in front of the bedroom door.
- The mattress used on the double bed should be a single one.
- The door of the bedroom should never produce the creaking noise.
- The colour scheme for the bedroom in Southwest direction should be in any earthy tone like browns, shades of almond, all families of earthen colour.
Universe is one of the beautiful creations of nature and everything stands alive only in the limelight of truth. Just like every subject of human aspect is governed with rules, regulations & acts, similarly the art of worshipping has got certain key factor principles to attain all its benefits.
While planning a house, due to the space constraints, many people tend to ignore a separate pooja room but we must not sideline the need to make a place for GOD. Thus by creating a room for worshipping, we are creating a room to get charged with positive vibrations every morning and that energy will energize our environment, mind, body and soul. Our work efficiency will increase and so the progress, prosperity and peace.
This room should be designed carefully because when you do meditation, you should gain the positive energies and then you can feel charged. If it is in wrong direction, then no matter how much meditation you do, you will not feel charged. There are certain rules which one must follow before the commencement of designing a pooja room.
- The pooja room should always be situated in the North, East or the Northeast side of the house.
- One should face towards East/North while worshipping.
- Ideally there should be no idols in the worship room. But if one wish to keep, the height of the idol should not be more than 9"and less than 2".
- While worshipping, the legs of the idol should be at the chest level of the person worshipping depending on the position, whether standing or sitting.
- Nothing should be stored above the cabinet or slab here the God's idol is placed.
- A Pooja room should never be made in a bedroom or on a wall adjacent to the bathroom wall.
- One shall not enter the pooja room for any purpose without washing his legs and hands. Cleaning the feet by rubbing them against each other is prohibited. The left hand must clean them and the water must be poured by the right hand. Reared side of the feet must always be cleaned first.
- In pooja room, copper vessels only shall be used particularly where water is collected.
- Triangular pattern of any God should not be drawn in the Pujaghar.
- The colour of walls of pooja room should be white, lemon or light blue and the marble used should be white.
- The worship room should have doors and windows in the north or the east
- The Agnikund should be in the southeast direction of the worship room. The sacred offerings to the fire should be made with the face towards the east
- Lamp stand should be placed in the Southeast corner of the pooja room.
- The idol should not be exactly in front of the entrance gate.
- The idols should not be kept at a place obtained by chiseling off the wall or touching the wall. They should be kept at least an inch away from the wall.
- Idols of God or their pictures should be placed on a high platform built on four legs.
- The doors of the pooja room should not be made of any metal.
- Silver or gold plates or items can be used for any purpose in pooja room. Usage of iron and stainless steel items in pooja room is strictly prohibited.
The ideal place to locate the bathroom (bathing only) as per Vaastu is on the eastern side. In olden days (even today) in villages, people used to take bath in the early morning. Come out of the bathroom, see and worship the "Rising Sun" chanting mantras (hymns).
Nowadays placing the toilet and bathroom combined and even attached to bedrooms is gaining popularity first because of paucity of space, second because of convenience. But there are some basic Vastu principles, which should always be kept in mind.
iv. Drawing room
- Bathrooms should not lie in the Northeast corners of the house.
- The bathrooms and toilets should never be constructed beneath the staircase.
- The toilets should be constructed to the west of the building or the north-west side.
- Bathrooms and toilets should be located at a safe distance from the kitchen and the dining room.
- The WC in the toilet should be in the west, the south or the northwest side of the west.
- The WC should face North-South axis.
- The water pipes, shower, bathtub etc. should be placed in northeast zone of the bathroom.
- Heater, switchboard, all other electrical appliances should be in the southeast direction.
- There should be windows or ventilators in the east or the north.
- Bath should be taken in the west side.
- The water storage of the taps of the toilet should be in the east, the north or the northeast corner. It should never be in the southeast or the southwest direction.
- Mirror should always be on the East wall.
- The dirty linens should be placed in the West Side of the bathroom as setting rays are very harmful for bacteria and kill them.
- If there is almirah, it should always be on the Southwest Side of the bathroom.
- The slope of the bathroom floor should be towards north and east so water drains to the northeast side of the bathroom.
- The suitable directions for keeping the washing machine are southeast and northwest.
The aim of Vaastu is to make us live in harmony with nature taking advantage of the magnetic fields, gravitational effects etc. of the earth, the rainfall, the galaxy and the whole of the nature and the universe and duly invoking the blessing of the Gods of the directions. Every room has their eight directions again, so one must be aware of the facts how to design the rooms.
- Living Room should be in the east or north so one can get the morning sunlight and positive vibrations.
- The door of the living room should be in East or West.
- The sitting arrangement of the head of the family should be facing the east or in the north direction.
- The heavy articles of furniture or decoration should be in the west or the south direction because weight is the element of Southwest corner.
- The heavy chandelier should not be at the center of the room as to make the Bhrmasthaan light.
- As far as possible TV should be in the southeast portion of the drawing room as all electrical gadgets should be in SE quadrant, the fire zone.
- The portraits of the God or waterfalls are hung in the northeast corner.
- Stuffed animals should be in the northwest corner.
- Furniture of this room should not be circular, triangular, egg shaped hexagonal or odd shapes. It should be square or rectangular.
- Portraits of birds, animals, women, weeping children, scenes from the wars etc. should not be displayed in the room as they give the gloomy feelings and thus the negative vibes.
- The colour of the walls and the tiles used in this room should be white, yellow, blue or green. As far as possible it should not be red or black.
- No photograph of God should be hanged above the entrance door, from outside.
- The fireplace, if designed, should be done in Southeast part of the living room
Managing interiors with the Vaastu is a bit creative job but if everything is planned carefully, one can open the doors of the prosperity for themselves. Now we will discuss dining room in detail.
vi. guest room
- The dining hall should be placed in West corner, as the setting rays will kill all the harmful bacteria present in the stored food.
- The dining can also be made in the East direction of the house, as the morning sunrays are very good for the health.
- The dining table should be perfect square/rectangle.
- Dining table should not be sticking to the wall.
- If you want to place a fridge in the dining room, it should be in southeast direction.
- While eating the members should face the east, north.
- The wash basin should be in Northeast side of the room.
- The main door of the house and of the Dining Room should not face each other.
- The dining should not be adjacent to toilet.
- The door of Pooja room/ toilet should not open in front of dining area.
- If console has to be placed near dining for storage of crockery and utensils, it should be on South/West wall of that area.
Guestroom is a place where implementation of vastu principles is utmost necessary. This room invites people from different race, environment and characteristic therefore, Vastu comply guestroom doesn’t allow the guest to dominate or interfere. On the other note guestroom should be such that the person coming here to rest feels at peace and contentment. Sometimes this room gets stimulate with the negative vibrations of different people and to nullify that vastu principles are applied to induce positive energy.
vii. childern’s bed
- The guestroom is best in Northwest as this corner represents air and thus most unstable corner of the house.
- The bed should be placed in the South/West part of the room.
- Bed should be placed in such a way that they sleep with head towards South.
- All the electronic items should be on the Southeast wall of the room.
- The door of the bathroom should not be exactly opposite to the bed.
- There should not be any beam running over the bed.
- The cabinets should be designed on the South/West wall.
- Any electrical equipment should be placed in the Southeast corner of the room.
Children’s room is an important place, as the ability and performance of kids depends on this room. This room gives your child all the positive vibes which is needed for his well being. Therefore care must be taken for this little space which is important in order to keep your child in progress. Here are few vastu rules which can be incorporated in children’s room.
viii. study room
- The room to be chosen for study should be in the East, North or the NorthEast direction of the house. These directions improve the absorption power and increase the knowledge content. Along with that if the door of the room is also in either of these directions, the result turns out to be the best.
- There should not be any exposed beam or column.
- Students must face North while studying.
- The door of the room should have two shutters and windows should be placed in East and North side so that the useful morning sunlight can easily come through.
- There should not be any open shoe rack in the room and the shoes should not be left scattered.
- The bed should not fall in front of the entrance door.
- The children should sleep with head towards South for better concentration & grasping power. It helps in maintaining the magnetic balance of the body and the earth.
- There should be no exposed mirror in children room.
- The book rack should be planned on the South/West wall.
- A square study table is the best shape for study. However a regular rectangle table is also considered good.
- The unnecessary books should not be piled up on the table. Only the books, which are needed, should be kept on the table. Load of books on the table creates unnecessary mental pressure on the mind.
- The colour of the walls of the study room should be lemon, green or white in color as it is very auspicious and enhances the wishing power as well as supports the speedy progress of mind.
- The study books should be placed in the cupboard in the cabinet rather than in the open. And if the shutter of the cupboard is kept shut, the flow of energy is constantly maintained.
- A flowing water body should be kept in the Northeast corner of the room, which will always keep the student fresh.
- The curtains/bedshhets used should be plain and simple. Any kind of complicated geometrical designs should be avoided.
- Try to paint any one wall/element/character in turmeric yellow colour as it enhances the pitutary gland for better growth & mind.
Study room is a place where one sits peacefully to concentrate on studies. This room should be located at proper place and direction followed by vastu principles. The vibration in this room creates unseen noise making it unpleasing and if the directions of books, table are placed accordingly, this room will always give you peace and knowledge.
- The study room should be placed either in the Northeast / East or West side of the house.
- Students must face East/North while studying.
- A beam should never run above your head while studying.
- The study room should be well lit and one should not face a blank wall or a window while studying.
- One should prefer not to have the toilets in the study room, however bathrooms are fine.
- The book rack should be made on the Southern or the Western wall.
- The book shelf should never be planned above the study table.
- The shape of the study table should either be square or rectangle.
- The size of the study table should not be too big or too small. The proportion of the length & width should not exceed more than 1:2.
- The study room should have images of Lord Ganesha and Goddess Saraswati.
- The study table should not stick to the wall .It should be at least 3-4 inches away from it.
- If the learner makes use of the Table lamp then the lamp should be kept in the Southeast corner of the desk.
- A pyramid can be kept near study table as it balances the energy and increase the remembering power.
- A pendulum watch should be put on the North wall of the room.
- The windows should be larger on the eastern side and smaller on the western side of the room.
- Use light/neutral colour scheme for better learning power.
Kitchen should be designed very carefully so as the person should enjoy cooking, the food should be tasty and healthy. If a kitchen is made in a wrong corner will lead to problems in relationship; risk of fire related accident, problems related to health and problems regarding kids.
We have to take care of the following points while studying about the vastu of the kitchen
- The best location for the kitchen is the Southeast corner, as this is the place for the fire zone.
- One should face East while cooking, as it is considered to be auspicious.
- The cooking hob and the sink should be maximum distance apart.
- There should be big windows on the Eastern/Northern side and smaller on Western/Southern wall.
- The sink should be in the Northeast corner of the kitchen.
- The slope of the water flow should be from Southwest towards Northeast.
- The cylinder should be placed in the Southeast corner.
- The Geyser should be installed on the Southeast side.
- The electronic gadgets should be placed on the South eastern platform.
- The storage for all the food grains, utensils, the over head almirah should always be on the Southern and the western walls and not on the Northern and the Eastern walls.
- The fridge should be in placed in the Southwest corner of the kitchen.
- A dishwasher can be placed in the north west of the kitchen.
- The exhaust fan should be installed either in the Northwest corner or the South wall.
- There should be no toilets and bathrooms adjoining, and above or below the kitchen.
- The door of the kitchen should never face the door of the toilet.